Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Decorated Cookies Tutorial - How To Do Angry Birds Cookies

Well I think its about time this blog starts doing tutorial right. Ok, I'm gonna show you how I do my angry birds cookies. Hope this is easy to understand and not confusing, since its my first time doing tutorial! And please excuse my grammatically incorrect English. Hey, English is my second language after all. Ok, lets start.

1. First step - I do not have any cutters for them so firstly I print out the 6 angry birds characters that I like from Google Image. Then cut up each of them.


2. I make the cookies (there are a lot of sugar cookies recipes from the internet that you can try). Then I use a knife to cut out the characters. Bake.

3. When all the cookies are baked and stored in an air tight container, I started doing my Royal Icing. Since I already bought a can of Wilton Color Flow, I use them instead for my Royal Icing. The recipe is:

Color Flow Icing Recipe
1 lb/4cups/454g              Sifted Icing Sugar
2 tablespoons                 Wilton Color Flow powder
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon  Water

Dump the whole thing in the mixer and mix them till they turn white (from slightly pale yellow), about 7 minutes on low speed using my SPAR mixer. Then transfer to an air tight container (really air tight cuz we do not want the icing to crust). 

4.  Time to mix the colours! I count all the colours needed for the cookies and start mixing them before decorating the cookies. If you have all the colors before you start decorating, it'll make your job easier and more efficient. 9 colors needed for this project. I use AmeriColor, the gel ones. Dont use the oil ones, it will ruin the icing. They are: Super Black, Super Red, Violet, Lemon Yellow, Orange, Mint Green, Teal, Sky Blue and white. For white, just use the plain color flow icing without any color.


Once I mixed the colours, I pour them on cut out cling film and wrap them up. The ones in the picture on the right, I put the wrapped cling film colors in the disposable piping bag. 

Icing Consistency
For outlining the cookies, i.e. Black Color, the consistency is like a toothpaste.
For flooding, I count 10 seconds. Meaning, spoon out a small amount of the icing and let it drop back to the whole mixture. When it takes a full count of ten for the icing to sink back into the mixture and disappear completely, the icing is ready. Just normal counting to ten.

Put all of the colors in the fridge.

5.   Time to take out the baked cookies. Draw the outline features using food color marker.


6. Take the black icing (toothpaste consistency) to outline the above.
Remember that I had already put the black icing wrapped in cling film . So just pop the whole thing in the piping bag and   cut the end of the cling film wrap.



7. Start flooding according to the colors.

Start flooding the smallest details first. Here, the eyebrow.

8.  Finished all the flooding. Then I pop the whole thing in my oven (maximum temperature 50' Celsius. (Don't go more than 50 ok)) and they'll be dry in about 2 - 3 hours..



9.  Individually packed and sealed.



10. All bubble wrapped.



11.  Put in the box to be posted to the customer. And yup, she got it all in one piece, no breakage.


There is a technique to pack the cookies to be posted. Basically I followed Sweet Sugar Belle technique here  http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/12/shipping-cookies/ with some adjustments. 

Hope this tutorial help you in one way or another. Thanks for reading! :-)






1 comment: