Friday, February 3, 2012

Brush Embroidery Cookies Tips


This is my brush embroidery cookies, following the steps from SweetAmbs here. Of course mine is not as good as her. After doing these cookies, I think, the key to a good brush embroidery is to have a correct icing consistency and the having the right amount of dampness in your brush. My icing consistency above was medium but SweetAmbs uses stiff icing as you can see here. I think that is why hers is so much nicer. And a good control of your brush and water. And use the correct brush ok. Well, upon seeing SweetAmbs video, I rush to do the above without reading the comments section. As you can see, I got the icing consistency wrong!
Other tips from Amber which I copy and paste from her comments section.
  • The royal icing for the brush embroidery is actually not thinned down at all. You'll need a stiff icing so it keeps its shape. As for the gold icing, I paint the gold on after I've piped the design and let it dry. I use Wilton's pearl dust in gold mixed with vodka. Glad you enjoyed the video!
  • The icing I use is quite stiff. I don't add any water to it after it comes out of the mixing bowl. The brush is damp, but not too wet. You don't want to have excess water puddling on the cookie. Thank you for your comment!
  • The square tip brush from Wilton is my favorite one to use. It's the one that comes in the three pack with the purple handles."
Well, I hope my second brush embroidery cookies will look much much better with stiff icing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment